Saturday, November 04, 2006

 

What am I? What are You?

(2)

Primitive religious beliefs can be dangerous in a modern world. Modern science and ancient superstitions are a volatile mix. In the interests of preventing an eventual catastrophic explosion in this regard some scientists and philosophers are becoming activists. They propose an end to the teaching of ancient superstitions in the form of 'religion.'

The crusade against religion (Wired) explores the question, 'Where do you stand with God?' It seems to me that this is a timely essay. It furthermore seems to me that I can no longer avoid the central issue. I have been called to declare myself. What am I? I have jokingly called my 'religious convictions' everything from 'Agnostic' to 'Pink Pantheist.' But these are little jokes. What am I really?

Firstly, I think that the question, 'Where do you stand with God' is a loaded question. I do not stand with God. Nor do I stand against God. I don't know God. Never met the sucker. So how can I declare a position in the matter?

I am certainly an Atheist regarding the Jewish god, WHTZSNM (pronounced, whatzisname), but I am willing to allow for the possibility that our glorious universe is the product of some unknown 'god' who is responsible for its existence. That would make me a 'Provisional Deist,' I suppose. I can not believe that such an unknown god would need to be 'worshipped' in the sense that the Jewish god needs it. The Jewish god's need for worship seems to me like an unhealthy addiction. An ego problem. A psychological disease. Nor can I believe that the creator of the universe had issues with bad behavior to the extent that he (she-it) would come up with the category, 'sin against god.' The idea seems ludicrous to me.

So count me as a Provisional Deist. 'Atheist' seems to be too anti-logical.

By the way, the Wired article had three glorious links which might interest you: The punk Rocker, the Illusionists, and the Scribe.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?