Friday, March 28, 2014

 

Warped Catholicism: My High School Days.

(2)
Sipping in beer #5 at 1912. Sip. (What happened to beer #4?) Sip. Time to reread last week's posts... Yep. Now what...? Hmm. Sip. Hows about an interesting poem by Swinburne: The Garden of Proserpine. (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174555)
I think that this poem, along with parts of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam,
(http://classics.mit.edu/Khayyam/rubaiyat.html)
appeared in my 12th grade Literature book back in The '50s. Both of these poems had a huge influence on my 'emerging philosophy.'
Whenever I think about those days I always wonder how deeply I was affected by my Catholic High School's rule prohibiting interaction between males and females during recess. (tap) Apparently, the school policy mandating (tap) seperate recess (Girls in the front yard and boys in the back yard) affected us boys (and probably the girls too) in a negative way. The school was apparently afraid of embarrassing pregnancies, and sought to prevent intersexual communication. But both sexes suffered from the lack of appropriate intermixing at that critical age. I remember watching the girls at recess from the second floor of one of the front classrooms and discovering 'panty lines.' And it later became clear that I had absolutely no idea how to seduce a woman! I finally lost my virginity in Japan at about age 21.
(Back from the fridge with beer #6 at 1945. Sip. Back with beer #7 at 2017.)
Sip.




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?