Friday, September 20, 2013

 

We Are Very Sophisticated Thingees.

(1)
First sip of beer #1 at 1658. Sip. Might as well reread last week's posts... Ok! Now sipping on beer #2 at 1715, just personally delivered to me from the fridge by Kootch, who is 'hitting the sack.' I must admit that I usually don't 'Warm up' to my 'drunken posts' until several days have passed. Near the end of the week I usually check out the links, at least. This week I was too involved playing my favorite video game, C-III (Civilization III). Now that I am beginning to buzz a little, I like them (the recent posts). I think I'm probably affected by the dread that - drunk as a skunk - I wrote something much too offensive. 'The Fed,' for example. I have nothing at all against The Fed. What was that all about? Maybe I'll figure it out next week. Sip. I'll also check out the other links again.
I did manage to link two interesting sites which present somewhat differing approaches to the concept of 'Free Will:'
(1) The Sam Harris Blog (http://www.samharris.org/blog) and,
(2) The Brain From Top To Bottom Blog (http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/a/a_12/a_12_s/a_12_s_con/a_12_s_con.html#2).
Both versions of that concept are fascinating. To me, 'Free Will' is a 'Metaphysical concept' not a 'scientific fact.' It was probably formulated long ago by lawyers and priests who needed that concept in order to 'assign responsibility for behavior' which would justify punishments in Prisons, Purgatories and Hells. I abandoned the concept after several attempts to 'lose weight by dieting' back in the '60s. My current thinking is that we are all 'Bio-electro-chemical Machines (and that is probably a primitive way of describing what will eventually turn out to be 'very sophisticated 'thingees.')'




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?