Wednesday, May 08, 2013

 

What a Glorious Family!

(2)
Amanda Knox has been on CNN recently, giving us her side of the story. I was fascinated by the interviews. I have always thought she was innocent, and what I saw on CNN recently only tended to confirm my previous judgement in that regard. And what a family she has! Certainly the international publicity focused on them pretty much obligated them perform heroically, and they did. And as I watched those TV expositions of the Knox family I thought about my own family, and compared hers with mine. No contest! Compared with the Knox family, mine was a total flop:
----------
I didn't like my mother very much. Nor my father. I have few memories of them, very few of my father. Apparently, my mother 'ran away from home' (in Wisconsin or Minnesota) in her early '20s and met my father in Texas. Was she escaping an unwanted familial sexual situation? Possibly. They got married (in Texas?) and ended up back in his home town of Charleston SC. I was born at the Catholic hospital, Saint Francis. My brother may also have been born at that hospital. We were both left unmutilated (uncircumcised). WWII happened. We moved around, first to N. Charleston where daddy worked at the naval base there, then to Nashville, Tennessee. I remember my father would get drunk and write stuff (Eheh). He was an honor graduate of the College of Charleston. Catholic. He later apparently dropped the religion entirely, as I remember that he would often go outside during mass and wait for us. My mother (a Lutheran convert to Catholicism) 'kept the faith.'
They split up at the end of WWII. Us kids ended up with our mother and grandmother in Charleston. Grandmother babysat us during the day, while mother worked as a telephone operator. Apparently, grandma did not supervise us effectively and I severely injured my toe in a junk yard one day. Father Wolfe suggested the Catholic Orphanage.   




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?