Friday, January 04, 2013

 

How Always Preceeds Why.

(3)
Which brings us to The Meaning of Life. Why? Why am I here?
I can still remember my Catechism answer to that question. Indeed, I was too young to have even formulated the question. (Huh? Why? Not How?) You can only slip this question to a child who is too young to understand the nature of existence. The child does not yet understand that 'how' always preceeds 'why.' So you can flim-flam the child with 'whys.' But the child will eventually begin to wonder about 'how.'
'How' is always a Scientific question.
'Why' is always a religious question.
They told me that in the Catechism the answer to the question was:
'God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this life, and to be happy with Him forever in the next.' (Heaven.)
Damned white of Him! Then they taught me about Eternal Hell.
And I thought, Huh?
I sorta believed that nonsense until I took one of the three science classes offered at Bishop England Catholic High School back in the early '50s, Chemistry. I missed out on Physics and Biology because I had no adult advisors in those days.
Chemistry posed the question, HOW? Furthermore, Chemistry had something to say about the question, WHY?
God was completely missing in Chemistry!
I loved Chemistry. There was no Hell in Chemistry; only logic.

The image above is that of Bishop England High School in Charleston South Carolina back in the 1950s. The original school building is in the center; the Science Building is on the right, and the Gymnasium building is on the left. I took Chemistry in the building on the right (first floor) and I watched the girls basketball games in the building on the left. The girls wore 'bloomers.' Very sexy! Nowadays, girls wear long trunks, mimicking men's basketball attire. I can almost guarantee that if modern woman's basketball teams change their long trunks to bloomers, Women's Basketball will suddenly blossom on modern American TV. Prove me wrong if you can.




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?