Friday, March 09, 2012

 

Slurp.

(2)
My Jesuit high school teachers made it clear that because we had 'free will,' 'eternal punishment' was justified. I didn't argue with them, of course, but I could never reconcile myself to the thought of burning in Hell forever just because I'd jerked off and had not yet confessed it. So I became quite good at doing 'a perfect act of contrition:'
----------
'Oh my God I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee; and I detest all my sins because I fear the loss of Heaven and the pains of  Hell; but most of all because they offended Thee, my God, who art so good and deserving of all my love. (Kootch just waved 'goodnight' at 1712.) I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.'
----------
The only caveat was that, 'You must really mean it. Or else...' Oops.
The Jesuits provoked in me an interest in Metaphysics that later evolved into an interest in Philosophy, which eventually destroyed my religion. Be careful what you teach!
Concerning 'Free Will' I obviously don't have it, or else I'd weigh 180 instead of 230. But clearly I have 'choice' to some extent. It's just that some 'choices' are much more difficult to 'effect' than others. It's a 'logic' vs 'emotion' (L-brain/R-brain) problem. Slurp. Paradoxically, there are 'Systems' that amplify the 'logical (knowing) forces' by enhancing the 'emotional (doing) forces' of the mind (brain). They are sometimes fun to explore. Certain drugs (LSD for example) can initiate interest in such 'systems.' I have evolved my own individual 'system' based on 3.2 beer.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?