Friday, November 25, 2011

 

Bishop England High School Circa 1954 (?)

(2)
Sipping on beer #4 at 1714, buzzing slightly.
Rereading 'Styles' (5) below)) from last week, I can remember that the intent of the post was to broadly categorize human behavior into two 'styles' (lifestyles): a) Economic, and b) Personal. But thinking about it just now I realized that would require an entire book. Hmm. Ok, hows about 'Liberalism' versus its nemesis, 'Conservatism?' That'll keep ya busy for a while... Sip. Now what? Kootch has hit the sack and I am working on beer #5 at 1753.
Damn. I'm outa ideas and there are 8 beers left. Time to watch the Evening News on TiVo... Hmm. Maybe I need to buy a van and move out. I would be free of the radiation... on the other hand I wouldn't have Kootch around... Guess I'll stay for the time-being. Sip.
Back from the fridge with beer #6 at 1900. Sip. Ok. Time to improvise: Bishop England High School, Charleston SC, back in the '50s. We were 'taught' by priests and nuns. Mostly crap. I flunked 12th grade due to sheer boredom. A passing grade in 'Apologetics' was mandatory. I flunked. I repeated grade 12. I flunked again! 'Summerschool' saved me. I 'passed' Apologetics. I joined the USAF. I never returned to Charleston. The 'main' building is in the center of the photo; the 'Science' building is on the right, and the gymnasium is on the left. I learned Chemistry in the Science building. I watched Girl's Basketball in the gymnasium. The girls wore green bloomers. Very sexy. Chemistry turned out to be the single most valuable high school class of them all because it provided a foundation upon which I would ultimately 'build my life.' 'Religion,' on the other hand, made absolutely no sense at all. Strangely, an ugly nun who hated me taught Chemistry. We called her, 'Horseface.' Chemistry was so interesting that I was already halfway through the book before the first class began. Her most stunning classroom 'experiment' featured Sodium, a soft metal you could cut with a butter knife. It was also lighter than water. She dropped a small sample in a container of water: it melted immediately and began hissing around on top of the water. A small explosion followed. 'Heat, Hydrogen, and Oxygen,' she explained. She caught me reading 'The Illead' in class at the beginning of the school year and confiscated the book. She returned the book at the end of the school year, probably thinking that I would have to pay a large fine. She was wrong: I had 'borrowed' the book illegally. I simply returned the book. My next most favorite class in High School was Literature:

XIII
Some for the Glories of This World; and some
Sigh for the Prophet's Paradise to come;
Ah, take the Cash, and let the Credit go,
Nor heed the rumble of a distant Drum!

I still prefer cash.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?