Friday, October 14, 2011

 

Checking the Autopilot.

(3)
Awareness. I know myself. I watch 'the machine within.' I also watch the machines around me. It's not that I am 'always aware' in the Buddhist sense, but that I have learned to 'call in fairly often.' Like you, I am usually 'on autopilot,' but I 'check in' from time to time. My current method is the 20 minute (tap) timer. I use it to not only to move my body as an anti-DVT procedure but as a 'wake-up call' which instantly brings me 'into the moment.' I spend the next minute or so 'observing myself on autopilot.' I watch myself walk. I could never do that without 'autopilot.' I watch myself opening a beer. (tap) Stuff like that. 'Opening a beer' is actually a very complex physical procedure. I watch myself in autopilot mode 'opening a beer.' I am a pilot who checks up on the autopilot at regular intervals. I would be hopelessly lost if I had no autopilot. The task of managing all those sequential muscle contractions would be too overwhelming. I wouldn't move much, if at all.
Then I go back on autopilot for another 20 minutes or so.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?