Friday, September 23, 2011

 

Framed!

(3)
Working on beer #5 at 1809. Kootch has hit the sack. Now what? Aha! The Theory of my Life, continued from Friday, September 2, 2011: A Difficult Subject.
----------
When did Gerash 'discover' me? Certainly he was stalking me for years before I even became aware of his existence. We arrived in Denver in June 1966, but I only became aware of Gerash in late 1975, and it was an unforgetable (tap) introduction: At the Denver Chess Club one night a player pointed him out to me saying, 'That guy over there is Denver's most famous lawyer.' I looked over at Gerash. He was an older guy playing a game with another nondescript player. 'Sofuckingwhat?' I thought. 'Why tell me?' And the 'informant' was not somebody I would confide in. I hardly knew him. Very strange. Unforgetable, in fact. I decided to investigate. When I saw Gerash sitting at the table alone I walked over and offered to play some 5-minute chess. Gerash accepted the challenge. I defeated him in three quick games. Then, bored, I sought out some better competition: 'He might be a famous lawyer but he is a piss-poor chess player.'
I mentioned those victories over 'Denver's most famous lawyer' to Kootch the next day. Little did I know that our conversations were being overheard (probably recorded) by Gerash 'agents.' (Stomp above me as I unconsciously whistle Beethoven's Ode to Joy.)
I hated lawyers. Why? I had been 'framed' by an ACSD cop, accused of shooting out windows in new apartment buildings being built close to us soon after we moved into our new home. I had hired a lawyer to defend me. At trial time my lawyer informed me that the prosecution had offered 'us' a 'deferred prosecution.' He did not explain what a 'deferred prosecution' was. I assumed it was what it claimed to be. I saw no reason to 'prolong the agony' and insisted on an immediate 'trial to the judge.' Little did I know at the time that my lawyer was a Jew. Furthermore, the judge was a Jew, and the prosecutor was a Jew. I was 'Foreskin Man' surrounded by Jews suffering from penis envy!
My 'lawyer' made absolutely no attempt to defend me. No 'evidence' (besides the cop's testimony) was presented. It was my word against his. The 'judge' convicted me and imposed a large fine which Kootch and I could ill afford on top of the 'lawyer' fee. It was my first encounter with the Arapahoe County 'Criminal Justice System' and it was a disaster.
Did Gerash think that I would 'suck up' to him based on my 'criminal history?' If so He was wrong. I hated cops, lawyers, and judges (tap). 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?