Friday, June 11, 2010

 

Good Question

(4)
'Why is there something rather than nothing?' What a bizarre question... unless you are a Philosopher or a Cosmologist, or any ordinary person interested in ultimate concepts. The question was posed recently by the famous Cosmologist Stephen Hawking. I found the question interesting because it seemed to me to venture beyond the strict confines of Cosmology into the philosophical realm of 'Metaphysics' all the way back to Aristotle and Acquinas. My first 'response' (after mulling over the question for a day or two) was that, ''Nothing' is obviously impossible, otherwise the question could/would never be asked: There would be nothing.' The implication of that logic is, of course, that 'something can only come from something, otherwise there would be nothing.' But can 'something' come from 'nothing?' Good question.
I answer that, in any case there would be 'something;' therefore the question is irrelevent: we exist, regardless. Am I making sense here or have I drunk too much beer? Sip.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?