Wednesday, July 29, 2009

 

I Worry Not

(5)
Popped open my last (12th) beer at 2050L. A visit to the fridge reveals that tonight's main theme is 'health care.' Seems that it is the old familiar theme of the 'haves' versus the 'have nots' with Unfettered Capitalism thrown in: the H worry that the HN will deprive the H of health care in that the H will be forced to wait while more needy and deserving HNs suck up HC rescourses. Most worry that H - old bastards like me - will die waiting while HNs suck up HC. It's a very naughty idea.
I must admit that at my advanced age I don't worry at all that my request for an appointment will be deferred because of a more urgent HN request. Not at all. I believe in the principle of triage as a moral test. Indeed, I understand that as an Old Bastard leaching on public funds, I am liable to be deferred in favor of younger folks. No problem! I am - as an old person - close to death. This realization frees me: Old muthafucks like me have no fear of death unless we are Christians who believe in nonsense, in which case we suffer from extreme anxiety concerning the direction our souls will take in the 'afterlife.' I have no such anxiety. I have no soul. I worry not.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?