Thursday, June 19, 2008

 

Applied Science

(4)
'... Gassing began in the car almost immediately and continued all the way to Denver.' (Error: I was actually leaving Denver heading for Austin.) 'I made (it) a point to study the pattern. I'd previously theorized that the range of the gas-on transmitter was a couple of miles or so, and that they had to be within about 2-3 miles in order to activate it by radio. I confirmed the theory. I deduced, furthermore, that they were behind me most of the time, not ahead. This meant they had the assistance of various "spotters," who could warn them to stop whenever I took a pee break. Alternatively, they had some sort of GPS transmitter in my car which gave them my position moment to moment - most likely the latter. I could tell by the latter that Gerash himself or a clone was with them: often I was gassed according to cues in the road signs which would only have had a meaning to me and (or) somebody who knew me quite well. Thus, "pilot road," Raymond," and similar associations in road signs would first produce a theory, then a coughing spell about two miles later. Olfactory cues worked also. Thus, on the way back from Salina on the first trip I was gassed unmercifully during a couple of long stretches of stench from (probably) cattle lots. Back then I thought I was going to lose control of the car and pass out, but I barely managed to stay on the road. This time there was only one stench period of about a half-mile, and I was gassed right on schedule two miles after it began. This "theory formation" (prediction) followed by observation and confirmation is the essense of the scientific method, and I enjoyed making the discoveries though not having the experiences.
'I began (on the way to Austin) to speculate on how many Jews it would take to track one Irishman from Denver to Austin; and on the way back to Denver I refined my speculations, which then took on a certain humerous cast in light of my potty stops and peed pants. I speculated that it would take a huge slew of Jews to accomplish the task (in the absense of high-tech stuff like GPS transmitters). For example:
----------
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?