Friday, April 25, 2008

 

Living Alone

(2)
JF forces have struck twice recently. These strikes are no doubt related to Kootch's recent departure. In the first case, they struck the tires of Kootch's Toyota, unbalancing at least one of them. The vibration was very obvious as I drove Kootch to the airport Tuesday morning. They struck again sometime between then and this Friday afternoon when I attempted to start Kootch's car. The battery was totally dead. It was so dead, in fact, that the radio had lost all memory.
Interestingly, as I pondered what to do, a rescue truck appeared, apparently called to the scene by a strange woman driving a strange car. She needed help. I requested that the driver assist me after he had finished with her. He agreed. Meanwhile I got the jumper cables out of the trunk. Then a young woman appeared near me, obviously intending to drive away. I requested her assistance in the form of a jump-start and she agreed with a smile. Glorious! What a woman! I love that woman! But I was unfortunately unable to tell plus from minus on my battery, which had been sprayed with a thick red goop. I decided not to risk damaging her car by guessing (and being wrong). I thanked her. She left. The rescue truck dude then jump-started Kootch's car. Cost me 20 dollars. But just as he was about to leave, the motor died and I requested another jump-start. He did it for free, then suggested that the problem was the generator. I thanked him and he left. I drove around for about 45 minutes, charging the battery, then I bought two six-packs of Mickeys and headed back to the apartment.
I then punched in the code on the digital lock. (The key lock was not initiated in this particular case ( I forgot)), then I opened the door. Two chains secured the door from the inside. Each chain was connected by a digital padlock. I pulled the written keys to the two digital padlocks out of my socks. I dialed in the written combinations - which I had previously tested - into both padlocks. They opened, and I entered our apartment.
This is how I live when Kootch is in Japan.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?