Friday, January 18, 2008

 

Naughty Me

(4)
Just finished a quickie chess game on Comcast. I had Black. My opponent began with an extremely aggressive opening (1. e4 e5 2.Qh5 Qf6). I countered with the logical defense. I quickly got the upper hand. My opponent should have resigned but chose to play on. After sHe played a series of blunders I checkmated hIr succinctly. I love doing this to other people. Naughty me. I learned the game at about age 16 and was attracted to it immediately. Beating a computer is not so much fun as beating a human (and I rarely beat a computer). I think the satisfaction must reside in the knowlege that a computer doesn't care, but a human does. The human suffers emotionally. I must be a sadist. But the emotional satisfaction of victory has the additional patina which we associate with art, unless we won unexpectedly. Huh?!
Speaking of chess, Bobby Fisher bit the biggie today. We all get to do it eventually. I have a vivid memory of the time Bobby Fisher visited Denver and played a well known player whose name I have forgot. I was waiting in the lobby alone, observing the people around me. A woman with an extremely short skirt bent over one of the tables. She was wearing yellow nylon panties. Everybody was enjoying her underwear including, of course, me. Other stats elude me: who was he playing? Did he win or lose? What was the occasion? I dont remember, butt I do remember those yellow nylon panties.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?