Wednesday, October 17, 2007

 

Survivor!

(5)
I've had three recent encounters with bugs. There was the case of the spider who ventured into the bathtub and could not get out. I didn't want to roast the spider in hot water as I took a shower. So I got a sheaf of paper and scooped the spider out. The ungrateful spider disappeared into the closet under the closet door. Then there was the case of the little green thing. I have forgot the details, but I got rid of it out of the patio door. Lastly there was the case of the little insect with pincers on its tail. Kootch found it inside a bag of brown rice when she cooked up the latest batch of fried rice. She passed it on to me. I dropped it into the latest batch of 'Panko' (Japanese style bread crumbs) which I feed to the birds every day in a little green bowl (which used to be a rat food bowl). The insect seemed to be incapable of climbing out. I figured it would be eaten by the birds. I placed the panko with the insect in the bowl outside on the patio railing. The birds came. I figured the insect for a goner. Wrong. That was three days ago. Today I found a much fatter insect hiding under the bowl when I retreived it for the next refill. The bug climbed down into a seam in the wood construction. Apparently the bug survived and ate the panko while escaping the birds, and presumably enters the panko dish every night and pigs out. During the day the bug hides under the bowl.
That bug is a survivor. So am I. So far...
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?