Friday, July 06, 2007

 

Lost in Translation

(4)

The previous reasoning might partially explain the recent 'doctor rage' in Great Britain. The Brits are mostly uncircumcised (as are The French and other European cultures), and the new British Muslim doctors might well have been shocked by witnessing actual British penises being skinned back for medical observation. Indeed, such a scenerio might have been so emotionally devastating to those Muslim physicians that they decided to become terrorists. But there are thousands of Muslim doctors now operating in the Mother Country. My guess is that most of them will now proceed to circumcise the Brits, using the US template. I predict that we will soon see a blizzard of new 'medical reasons' for male sexual mutilation in Britain, if not in the USA.

Which brings us to an interesting development in Catholic religious culture: the Tridentine Mass. Seems that Pope Benedict has reinstated the Latin Mass. Since there is now a limited number of priests capable of speaking Latin, the new mass form is only optional at the present time. I like the idea. Hopefully it will eventually become mandatory.

As a former altar boy I was always a fan of the Latin Mass. It seemed to me that The Mass 'lost grandure' when the latin text was replaced by (whatever) local text. The mass sounded so much more appealing to me in latin, whereas the English version sounded ludicrous. I call it the 'mumbo-jumbo effect.'

'Oremus' (o-ray-moose), for example, is instantly accepted by a Latin Innocent: no question arises in the supplicant mind, for example, such as, 'Did it work?' Or, 'Pray for what?'
Or, 'Huh?'

I loved the 'suscipiat' (boom) during the Latin Mass because I got to speak it out loud to the large group of nuns gathered there. I had absolutely no idea what it meant...
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?