Friday, May 04, 2007

 

A Glorious Joke

(1)

What a week! The Today Show had Matt Lauer doing his yearly 'round the world thing (Where in the World is Matt Lauer). This is probably the funnest week of the year, TodayShowwise, and I never miss it. I think I liked the first day best: Matt visited the Boeing factory near Seattle, WA and gave us a tour of the 777 assembly building. He also gave us a lesson on how to land a Boeing 777 in the local simulator. Fun stuff. Back in the old days I would follow Matt in my own flight simulator (Microsoft Flight Simulator) from place to place. No doubt many FS afficionados did the same (and still do), but I no longer indulge nowadays, being too busy with other stuff. My favorite scene from the Monday morning show was captured briefly by Jay Leno on his Monday night show: Matt is standing just inside the intake of one of the 777's giant engines. He is explaining that this is the most powerful jet engine in the world. He is just about to mention that 'General Electric, which builds that particular engine...' when suddenly the engine starts up and Matt is drawn inside and presumably chopped up into a sort of 'hash, well done' and spit out of the exhaust as a sort of fine organic spray. 'Where' indeed!

Totally hilarious! I cracked up. I had to watch it several times and each time yielded the desired state of hilarity. It was a masterful joke done in a masterful way by Leno's special effects team. What a joke! I loved it. But then I began to wonder why I liked it so much. Did my reaction to the joke suggest some sort of animosity? Well, maybe. But I finally decided that the joke was so funny because it fit in so well with the theme of the show (where in the world is Matt?). I was very surprised not to find it on youtube.

Hurry home, Matt!
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?