Friday, March 30, 2007

 

Myth Busted!

(3)

Whew. I am soooo happy I never became a lawyer.

K and I were somewhat surprised, of course, by how fast OP became TGD'sP. Wow. What a transition. Not only could OP not fix the problem, he had turned off the water to our bathtub, and unless we turned it back on we could not take a bath or a shower. Indefinitely. We saw it as a challenge: K had previously noticed that too-frequent showers had tended to dry out her skin, and so she had almost welcomed this sudden prohibition: she could go indefinitely without a shower. No problem.

I, on the other hand, saw it as an opportunity to test a pet theory of mine to the effect that my left underarm smelled differen(stomp)tly or more strongly than my right underarm. Here was the perfect opportunity to test that theory! Things went well until yesterday so far as Kootch was concerned: her Japan skin definitely benefitted from infrequent bathing in Colorado's dry climate. (She caved in yesterday and took a shower at her exercise club.) Meanwhile my experiment went equally well as I tested the smell of each underarm several times a day. My test procedure was to smear the three fingers (beginning with the index finger) of my right hand across the left armpit and sniff the result. I followed this by smearing the same fingers of the left hand across my right armpit and smelling the result, looking for any difference in smell or smell intensity. The experiment proved conclusively that my claim that my armpits smelled differently was something of a 'personal legend.' Both armpits smelled the same after many tests. I also discovered the reason for the apparent discrepancy: sweat. Seems that I had done most of my previous smell tests while watching tv. But when I watch tv my right arm is not so close to my body as my left arm. Therefore my left armpit sweats more than my right armpit. When the test was performed at the computer where both armpits were equally smothered and therefore sweated at about the same rate, there was no discernable difference in either smell or smell intensity. Myth busted!
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?