Thursday, March 08, 2007

 

History

(3)

Several years ago there was a flood in 104. water poured out into the hallway and soaked the carpet. Apparently 'nobody was home' at the time and the flooding went unnoticed until the hallway rug near 104 was soaked. Rumor was that a pipe had ruptured somewhere above 104 and had flooded the apartment. (Indeed, there was much associated ceiling work done in the hallway between 104 and 108 at the time.) The flooding process may have taken days or longer. This event coincided with the period when the mailbox to 104 was 'blocked:' no mail was to be delivered to 104. No tenant! My conjecture: the apartment was deserted at the time due to an 'unlivable condition' probably connected to the extremely heavy gassing process then being directed against me in 204 by the folks in 304. My readings of electrical energy consumption by 104 at the time confirmed my suspicion that the apartment was vacant.

Back to current events: yesterday the worker downstairs (Don) presented us with a bill for $1347.00 to repair the water damage done to the apartment below by our bathtub leak. When Don first informed me of the fact that he would soon present us with a bill I got the distinct impression that he was leaving open the possibility that together we might work out a deal of some sort at the expense of the insurance company. He was quite subtle about it and I don't remember the details but I do remember my reply: 'No. You give me the bill first, then I'll give you the name of our insurance company.' I could be wrong about Don's intentions.

Don and Jim (the owner) turned out to be magnanimous. There was a note at the bottom of the bill to the effect that, 'This est is being generouse , because no tile work was added. Owner of 104 is covering some lost to help out only to get this done. Tile work would have been another $750.00.'
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?