Friday, February 23, 2007

 

My Way or the Hi-way

(4)

The big news for me this week (tap) was another colonoscopy plus an upper endoscopy. Kaiser had bugged me to do the colonoscopy in a registered letter, warning that I faced 'serious health problems' if I failed to do so. But I put it off for a year or so in view of a more immediate concern (my DVT (boom) and the blood thinner regimen: I wanted to get to a stable state before introducing complications: I am the boss because I am the patient. It is my way or the hi-way.)

But I am such a nice guy. That is my problem.

So when I finally went for the procedure last Monday at 1330 I protested too little. My appointment was with my favorite Gastro-Enterologist, Doctor Bill. He had discovered my colon cancer (tap) back in 1999 and had advised me even before the bioposy that, 'This is cancer. I know it.' So did I. Doctor Bill (unfortunately I did not get permission to use his real name (thump)) eventually did two other colonoscopys, snipping out at least a handful of 'polyps' which might eventually have become cancerous. He was good. Real good.)

But at the time I saw no need to rush the operation: 'It's been there for years. Can't you give me a week or two to adjust to the reality? No?'

No. Kaiser insisted, and they ressected the tumor the next day. I became known locally as 'the splenic flexure.' It was literally terrifying to be totally at the mercy of (small stomp above me) other people. But it worked, and I survived, and Monday Doctor Bill pronounced me 'cured.' I knew it too, of course. But the honeymoon ended there.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?