Tuesday, January 23, 2007

 

Pious Posture

(3)

I should probably define the terms, 'stinkfinger' and 'mudra:' 'Stinkfinger' refers to the left middle finger, which is the finger used by folks who have no toilet paper and very little available water, to clean their anuses after a poop. They poop, then they 'wipe' with the middle finger of their left hand. They then presumably clean off the finger by dragging it through the sand. It is always the left middle finger. That is the stinkfinger. The right hand is used for grasping food, a practice which eliminates the middle finger on the right hand from consideration as the 'stinkfinger.' The Koran may contain directions in this regard. May not.

'Mudra' is an Indian noun meaning, roughly, 'posture.' Thus, 'stinkfinger mudra' translates to, 'left middle finger extended.' A 'mudra' is a posture.

But I take a more liberal view: when I pray to God I always form my right hand into the stinkfinger mudra. I see this as somewhat less offensive. But my primary reason is that I sit on the right hand side of the couch when I watch TV, and the couch armrest supports my mudra posture, which I sometimes hold for minutes on end depending on the subject being displayed on TV. I rarely talk to god if I am not watching TV.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?