Tuesday, December 05, 2006

 

I Can Relate to That

(2)

Continuing with the theme of religion, today I found a Newsweek article by my favorite Rabbi, Mark Gellman, who is currently celebrating 25 years in the God Business. I enjoyed the article immensely. But Gellman used a (to me) curious term: 'Professionally religious.' The use of this term struck me immediately as something of an oxymoron. Religion as profession?!

It is true that many folks make their daily bread by professing religion. John Agee and Pat Robertson are outstanding examples of that (in the 'Christian' religion). Indeed most all preachers in most all religions are 'religious professionals:' They do it for the money (among other considerations: prestige, power and control being among those considerations). I call it, 'The God Business.'

So Gellman's admission was a breath of fresh air so far as I was concerned, and a curious admission. He must have written it while drunk as a skunk. I can relate to that.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?