Tuesday, December 05, 2006

 

The Hyperbolic Jew

(4)

To continue with the previous theme concerning Carter's new book, it was my intention to spotlight the concept of, 'Hyperbolic Jew.' What is a 'Hyperbolic Jew?'

My conception of 'THJ' is a Jew who is extremely bothered by the past. Such a Jew has learned a lot about Unfortunate Jewish History. Possibly this unfortunate knowlege was transferred to him (her) by loving parents, cautious that their offspring should not suffer from historical Jewish problems. Such parents might have impressed (indeed, over-impressed) Sad Jewish History on their intellectually defenseless children. This is a very common cultural practice which serves a certain cultural stability. Cultural Stability is essential: not enough? the result is cultural anarchy. Too much? The result is cultural rigor mortis. Culture needs to be passed down at an ideal rate. This is obvious. And not only Jewish History is passed down, all of cultural history is passed down and becomes the basis of various cultural wars.

I think that the woman in question above was a Hyperbolic Jew.

(2243 and I just got another beer. I could see the light under Kootch's door, so I opened it. Kootch was doing her new Sudoku book. I laughed. Kootch - not at all impressed - ignored me. It is very rare for Kootch to be awake at this hour of 2253.)
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?