Friday, October 13, 2006

 

Friday the 13th

(2)

This week's notes:
----------
the Ann Curry fan club
Jimmy Buffet - Ecstacy
Mohammed Yunus - Nobel Peace Prize
Friday the 13th
----------
I count myself a member of the Ann Curry fan club, of course, as well as the Jimmy Buffet fan club - not to mention the Mohammed Yunus fan club.

Today is Friday 13th. Today an interesting piece on the subject. Seems they asked readers to vote on their fears, and after tallying the results came up with the following 'top fears:'
1. Fear of heights - 34 (percent)
2. Fear of closed spaces - 25
3. Fear of animals/insects - 20
4. Fear of flying - 11
5. Fear of the dark - 5.6
6. Fear of thunderstorms - 4.3
7. Fear of the number 13 - .6

This is a most interesting result from my point of view. In fact I found the entire interview interesting and decided to make 'fear' my theme for tonight. By way of introduction I would say that 'fear' is a murky subject. First of all, there is the division of fear into rational and irrational. Rational fear is a desirable personal attribute. Rational fear contributes to personal (though not necessarily group) survival. Do you fear? Be happy you do. Your fear might save you.

I have no argument with rational fear. In fact, I see all the above fears except 'fear number 7' as falling in the category of 'rational fears.' Those fears become pathological when they become so intense as to preclude normal everyday behavior. You see that. Right?
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?