Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

Wow!

(3)

My 'predelection' for turning off engines at altitude no doubt sprang from an encounter with gliders at the 'Black Forest Gliderport.' John Hurd and I had flown down there one day in 87Xray for the purpose of experiencing gliders. It was glorious! I got to ride in the front seat and do most of the flying (being a commercial pilot/flight instructor). We were towed into the air by a 'tug' (possibly a 180 Super Cub) to about 2000 feet AGL then we released. We flew around for a while but that was too boring. I asked if we could do a loop. The instructor agreed. I dove the glider until we had achieved the recommended airspeed, then pulled up and through for a most interesting experience. The instructor apparently liked my taste in flying and, when we eventually came to the end of the flight time he asked me whether I was game to 'buzz the field.' I said, 'You can buzz the field in a glider?!' He said, 'Of course!'

He coached me as I made the approach. At a certain point I began a shallow dive, building airspeed. We continued diving 'til we were about ten feet off the ground, going about 110 knots. We flew the entire length of the runway, then pulled up into the left traffic pattern at about 400 or so feet (thump), then entered downwind. I was amazed. We flew the remaining pattern and still had more than enough altitude for final approach. In fact we had way too much altitude, and this became obvious as we turned final. I said, 'We're gonna overshoot.' He said, 'Try the Spoilers.' I pulled the spoiler control on the left side. The airplane began losing altitude but maintained about the same speed. It became immediately obvious that, using spoilers, I would be able to plant that airplane literally on a dime anywhere on the long grass runway. Wow!

We landed where we wanted and 'taxied to the gate,' so to say. I recommend gliders.

I would later fly gliders in Phoenix, Arizona, solo.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?