Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

Oh Four Zulu




(2)

This series was taken (probably by Kootch) during a sightseeing ride in 4304Z, one of the several Super Cubs I have flown. Oh four zulu was a 'leaseback' owned by one of my students. He was a geologist who worked (tap) for 'King Resources.' I have forgot his name. He came to me as a person who knew a lot about flying, (tap) but wanted to acquire a private pilot's license. He claimed to have a lot of time in airplanes as an observer while doing his job of geologist. He was a good student and a very likable guy. We had a lot of fun together. I think he gave me a special break on the price of flying his airplane. I remember one glorious summer day when we (tap) turned off the engine about three thousand feet above what is now a populated area south of I-270. We were just below a huge growing mass of cumulus and the updrafts were tremendous. We gained at least 1000 feet as we circled under the cloud. He flew most of it of course, being the student. I thought of that lesson as 'icing on the cake.' No doubt it was illegal, strictly speaking, but he had immediately agreed to do it. It wasn't the first time I had turned off the engine with a student.

Interesting, now that I think about it, that I was not so 'brave' when my airplane was gathering ice.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?