Friday, August 25, 2006

 

Fun, Ice, and Eagles


(3)

This is a photograph of the terrain just WNW of Columbine (being gassed here). I took this photo in remembrance (I think) of 'Fun, ice, and eagles,' which was an unforgettable notation in my pilot logbook. I had been working at Littleton Airport as a part-time instructor and had flown several high-wing airplanes (Citabrias and Super Cubs) very close (tap) to the 'hogbacks' depicted here. In fact, I liked harrassing the eagles I found there (another tap). I would fly just above the nests, buzzing the eagles. They would take off and fly above their nests in (I suppose) defense. Then I would make further passes at them in the air just to be mean. I was not alone in this: My friend (John Hurd) would also do this. We loved harrassing the eagles.

I felt a kinship with those glorious birds. On the occasion of, 'fun, ice, and eagles' I flew the Super Cub (or possibly a Citabria) from Columbine to Littleton. The weather was perfect for ice formation. The ceiling was about 500 feet. Approximately 1/3 of the way there my windshield froze over and I could see ice on the leading edge of the wings. I loved it! The weather deteriorated the closer I got to Littleton, and I eventually made a straight-in approach to Littleton runway 16 (I think). After landing at Littleton I taxied excitedly to parking, jumped out of the airplane, and bragged, 'Look at the ice on my airplane!'

I did the eagle thing later after the weather cleared.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?