Saturday, August 26, 2006

 

Fifteen Seconds

(5)

We did not land at Goodland. We went through the motions. I flew the airplane (a Cherokee 180) through the the approach. We aborted the approach when the runway was not in sight at the appointed time. (And I just now realized that 4247J was a C-140, not a C-180. I have no idea what the tail number of the C-180 actually was but it was definitely a C-180, not 4247J, a C-140. Furthermore our 'student' in the back seat was a German student, come to America to learn how to fly for the airlines. I swear it.)

As I was flying us down into the soup during the approach, Dave called my attention to the ice which was crawling its way up the windscreen. I looked up and was horrified by the sheer volume of ice. This was much more ice than anything I had witnessed flying VFR. Huge chunks of it were literally moving slowly up and out, across the windshield.

Dave turned on my flashlight (I was required to provide a fully charged flashlight for this occasion) and shined it on the wings. The leading edges of the wings were covered in ice. I said something like, 'Let's get the fuck outa here!' Dave said something like, 'Fifteen seconds.'

I was infuriated. Dave was referring to our 'missed approach' time: if the runway lights were not visible in 15 seconds we were obliged to abandon the approach and climb to a safe altitude.

I felt that Dave - insane idiot that he was - was risking our lives. I decided at that point that if it became obvious that we were going to crash as a result of Dave's stupidity I would get in one last objection: a smash to Dave's face. I envisioned me smashing my fist into Dave's face just before we hit the ground.

Strange what you think about just before you think you might die.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?