Monday, July 24, 2006

 

Revelation!

(2)

I never met his wife, whom, he said, thought that the idea of 'Angels' was 'disgusting.' We were strictly 'lunch buddies.' But I enjoyed a good argument and didn't like being on the losing side. So I visited the Salina Public Library and checked out an 'exposition' of Thomas Aquinas' ideas (which I learned in high school and then promptly forgot).

Aquinas made no dent in this guy's arguments, but I discovered the 'Philosophy Section' right next to the 'Religion Section' in the library. I began reading philosophy. Revelation! I discovered that Aquinas' arguments belonged to a branch of philosophy called, 'metaphysics,' and that it (metaphysics) was by no means the only way to think about things. I stopped arguing religion with my friend and we turned to economics. I recall only one of the discussions: he argued for 'mom and pop' businesses, whereas I argued for massive businesses. I convinced him.

Meanwhile my philosophy studies convinced me intellectually of what my experiences with priests and nuns had already convinced me emotionally: Judeo-Christianity sucks.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?