Thursday, April 20, 2006

 

Goodbye Dialup!

(1)

Been an interesting morning. Satisfied with my new cable connection, and that I had no further use for my msn dialup connection, I dialed msn one last time to send myself an email at my new email address. Bad idea. When I hung up msn for the last time and tried to access my new cable service (Comcast) my browser would always try to dial the connection! It acted as if the cable connection was non-existent.

So I was forced to do another system restore and reinstall some of the Mcafee security software. Once the software was up and running again it immediately detected the presence of a trojan called 'reg/seeker.' Almost certainly, reg/seeker was the original problem, and was 'inserted' at the time I tried to download an update to msn on April 5th. The update was probably used as 'cover' for inserting the trojan.

If that is correct it is further proof that my computer/web activities are under constant surviellance by folks who do not have my best interests at heart.

Interestingly, I had done a complete system scan after installing the new security software (Mcafee) yesterday and 'reg/seeker' was one of 20 (!) infected or 'potentially unwanted' files which were then cleaned/deleted. So... when I signed in to msn this morning I did so with a 'clean' computer and 'reg/seeker' was inserted again while I was doing the email.

After the second 'reg/seeker' was deleted I did another system scan later this morning and no problems were found.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?